Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Evolution of My Weight Lifting

I began in April 2010. I hesitated to take a strength route. I was interested in pursuing muscle size, and didn't know enough at the time. I spent 5 months mastering push-ups. I performed no other exercises. I became great at push-ups, gained about 15-20lb pounds (I had been underweight), and had increased the size of my Pecs, Front Delts, Abs, and Back (to a degree). I felt very accomplished. I was able to perform 150 push-ups in one set, and 750 total in one workout.

When I realized my forearms weren't the size they had been in the past, I knew immediately the answer was pull-ups, and so I began them, and my forearms grew. I added in dips, but frequently hurt my shoulders in them, but this is no longer the case. I also added some dumbbell work, but mostly curls and shrugs.

It took me far too long to begin barbell work. And when I did, I only performed a single set on every exercise. I also opted for having about two dozen different exercises in one workout. As I read more, I discovered hilarious things, such as the evolution of weight lifting, and that it was found through studies long ago that single sets were inferior to multiple sets for hypertrophy and strength. Boy, was I shocked.

I began doing 2 sets of 8 on most exercises, and more sets later on. It took me a very long time to acquire my Squat, Deadlift, and Bench Press technique. I remember coming to the conclusion so many times that I actually didn't have the correct technique, even for basic moves. Though I don't know if I can say there is a correct technique for anything. There's good technique and bad technique as far as safety, individual body mechanics, lifting goals - strength, size, power, and endurance.

As my lifts stalled, I simply deloaded and worked my way back up, and didn't think much of it. This happened many times. It took me some time to realize a new method I'd begin using on all my lifts. That method is performing multiple sets at different rep ranges. I had noticed that when staying in a single rep range, you become strong there, and when you try to work outside of your rep range, you are weak.

To be strong in a variety of rep ranges was and is a grand idea to me. I initially programmed this into only my Barbell Back Squat. I had felt that Squats weren't returning the investment I was putting into them. My legs weren't taking off nor my strength fast enough. Strength programs often prioritize squats, and so many strength trainees have incredible high Squat numbers compared to their other lifts, and it has become the norm, and the expected.

Additionally, although my training at the start of my lifting career was not optimal, I highly enjoyed it, and looked forward to every lifting session. Each rep of each exercise was meticulously precise with the knowledge I had at the time to employ full range of motion and joint safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment