Sunday, December 9, 2012

Some Leg Updates

I'm still new to the Trap-Bar Deadlift, but I definitely noticed that you don't need to bend your knees as much to pull it off the ground. There are two sets of handles, one set high and one low, but it's less obstructed to use the high handles. To counter this, you can do deficit Trap-Bar Deadlifts. That is to say you stand atop any sort of platform so that you must reach lower to pick up the weight. This can easily be remedied through stacking two 45lb plates, and standing atop them.

Having to drop lower to pick up the weight allows the Quads a better stretch and therefore a longer ROM. Doubly this effect takes place because a 45lb plate requires you to take a closer stance, which also emphasizes the Quads more. I've always bent very low for my Conventional Deadlift, which I've read is not a great idea as it becomes more like a Squat, but my focus on my legs over my back as they have far more catch up to do.

Secondly, I feel my Glutes are strong, and don't require any auxiliary lifts, but I've heard what Brett Contreras has to say on Glutes, and although I had heard it before, it makes more sense to me now. Squats and Deadlifts build your Glutes and Glute strength, but the moves are compounds, and a more isolated Glute exercise is the Barbell Hip Thrust.

I had at one point attempted training Barbell Glute Bridges, and partly it felt like a good exercise, but the setup is a nightmare, and I found it to be painful on the upper thighs and hips. I wasn't using a barbell pad at the time as I felt it would be cowardly. Since then I've learned that Barbell Hip Thrusts are more effective than Barbell Glute Bridges, and that the barbell pad is necessary - the thicker the better. The Hip Thrusts are just as hard if not harder to set up because you need to lean your upper back and elbows atop a bench or elevated surface, but it needs to be the correct height.

If the bench is too high, then you won't be able to dip very low in the eccentric. I tried the exercise in three different locations in the gym, and found the best to be the lowest bench I could find (near the dumbbell rack), and I stacked two 45lb plates to sit atop in order to have the correct height. It was my first time with Hip Thrusts, and I did 8 reps of 95lb for 3 sets. I didn't find it difficult, but I found my ROM a bit more limited than I wanted with the weight, and that drove up my mental intensity so that each rep would hit the over-extension which is the point at which the Glutes activate the strongest.

As far as an update on my Swole routine. I'm really happy with all the lifts I'm doing, and the weight, reps, and sets. Everything lines up so well, and make so much sense for what I need. I don't have much isolation work, which I like. My Triceps growth has improved the look of my arms, and has made my Biceps look even more isolated and cut.

I think the one main problem I have is Chest and Bench Press technique. My Bench Press technique feels very inconsistent. I'm still having trouble unracking. For leg position, I've settled for on my toes because on my heels caused lower back pain. I plan on watching more technique videos and reading more articles. I'll divulge any crucial form-changing information I come across.

No comments:

Post a Comment