Monday, December 31, 2012

Bench Press Technique

In a search to improve my Bench Press technique, I spent the last month benching 2x per session 3x a week. This allowed me to drill technique with high volume. That's 24 Bench Press sessions versus 8, if you were to bench just 2x a week. I had been working Decline bench prior to focusing on Flat, and through that I learned to better engage my chest. It was driving me mad that leg drive is absent though. I've grown comfortable with Flat now, and it's my preference.

I use leg drive although I stay on my toes instead of planting my heals. I have long legs, and that may have something to do with it. I recently switched to a more narrow grip, and found it much less prone to injury. This also involved tucking my elbows on each rep. Since then it's become less of a conscious-based thought and more of technique.

I also learned about pinning your upper back, and having all of the weight there. Just today, I found an even better way of staying pinned. First is a tight setup. I saw Dave Tate using this method of grabbing the center of the bar with your thumbs, and raising your sternum towards the bar, adducting your shoulders, then pushing yourself back down. This keeps you very tight and in the right position for good leverage.

The last addition to the technique is to utilize the long head of your Triceps. Seen below as no.1.
I noticed that contracting the long head of the Triceps during lockout makes you prefer a wider grip, and I had been noticing that in videos I've been watching of heavy Bench Presses. Also, locking out the long head makes your wrists turn inwardly, which will hit the Pecs and Triceps better. Each rep should be driven up with leg drive. Let the bar glide down smoothly each rep, and harness its energy for an explosive contraction as you throw the weight up into lockout.

No comments:

Post a Comment