Thursday, October 17, 2013

Deadlift Grip - Prone or Mixed

Deadlifting with a double overhand grip is the standard grip for the deadlift. As you go up in the weight, and your grip fails, it's recommended to use a mixed grip (one over, one under). I've mostly used straps in deadlifts, and for straps, they say to use double overhand b/c you have straps that there is no reason to use a mixed grip. I found this to be incorrect at least for myself.

Asymmetry is normal and expected in humans. You can have a higher shoulder or a longer arm, and thus your back may not get hit ideally with just a double overhand grip. Turning your hand palm up (supine) shortens your arm, and so a shorter arm and a longer arm via mixed grip allows you to set your back tightness differently than prone (double overhand).

Technique seems easier to achieve in a mixed grip. Like a chin-up over a pull-up, your scapulae are more set when the hand is supine, whereas a more conscious effort is needed in a pull-up or double overhand deadlift. So while I've found a mixed grip is better for me to pull with (far less injuries and more strength and confidence), I've adapted the technique to straps as well. It doesn't feel as good as not using straps, but it again sets the back right, and gets you read for your main lift.

As far as alternating which hand is under and which is over, I do like to alternate, and pull with whichever grip feels stronger at the time. I know it feels different on each lat depending on the palm being up and down, and so I know there would be an imbalance both in strength and muscle if I didn't alternate.

No comments:

Post a Comment