Monday, October 14, 2013

Dumbbell Lunges for Leg Development

Squats are hailed as the king of all exercises, though Deadlift could be considered such as well, but Squats won't necessarily give muscle mass to the legs. The main muscles are the adductors, quads, and hamstrings. All of these areas are hit with an exercise I began doing recently - Dumbbell Lunges.

I've done lunges in the past with barbells and dumbbells, but have ran into knee trouble, but I've found how to avoid all knee pain and injury. For each lunge, take your step forward and descend with the weights hanging at your sides on each side of your front ankle whilst keeping an erect back. If your lower back rounds, it'll make it sore, and a sore lower back takes longer to recover than any other muscle.

I've only just begun doing lunges, and I'm doing them three sets of 36 reps mostly because they're walking lunges, and that's how many steps the route I planned takes. A recommended finisher afterwards are jump spin squats. These help shake out the leg muscles. Lastly I will mention they hit the glutes hard as well


No comments:

Post a Comment