Monday, October 14, 2013

Strength Training and Bodybuilding

Since last posting I've discovered the Holy Grail of strength training - 5/3/1. A program developed by Jim Wendler with intelligence built in that assesses your 1 rep max, and has you crushing your PRs (personal record). I recommend his latest book that describes the routine in detail called Beyond 531.

3x3          3x5          5/3/1        3x5, deload
Week 1   Week 2    Week 3    Week 4
70% x 3   65% x 5   75% x  5  40% x 5
80% x 3   75% x 5   85% x  3  50% x 5
90% x 3+ 85% x 5+ 95% x 1+ 60% x 5

The system's quite flexible, leading to a more individualized tuned program. For instance, there are Joker Sets, which are sets of triples, doubles, and singles done after the main working sets that lead up to your 1 rep max. The amount of Joker Sets and whether you do them at all is up to you. Drop sets an an option after the Joker Sets. The auxiliary work is highly customizable. Any lift can be 5/3/1 programmed, and you can run it for as many cycles as you like.

My first time on it I ran it about 1.75-2.75 months. I had gained 20lb through upping calories and a lack of cardio. I started bodybuilding and lose the 20lb in about a week. Therein I've found how I want to train from now on - cycle between strength training and bodybuilding.

The reason to switch back to strength training, is that I found bodybuilding wrecks your body. The volume and frequency are higher, and the weight is lower. I've found that lifting heavier weights strengthens the body. I ran into some minor injuries while trying to train as hard and consistently as possible. In the arm, between the Biceps and Triceps is the Coracobrachialis, which is responsible for shoulder adduction. Somehow that muscle's been sore on one of my arms for over a month. The injury seems to tie into the Lat and Triceps as well. It mostly limits me from doing pull-ups. I think it'll heal itself in time. I haven't had many injuries thus far in my lifting career. I solved my outer elbow tendinitis. I really took a toll on my sternum from deep chest dips. Some of my ribs don't feel that great at times.

Two exercises I've added to my routine are wide grip barbell bench press and one-arm cable crossovers. They both hit the chest well.






No comments:

Post a Comment