Monday, October 14, 2013

Chest Growth, and Muscle Control for the Chest and Lats

I've known for some time that my Bench Press style is a close grip (inside rings) and that makes it more Triceps dominant. It also helps with tucking your elbows, and takes stress off the shoulder, and therein roto cuff. I feel my body is in a tighter position, but it doesn't allow for as much chest work, though there is still chest in the lift. I've been dumbbell bench pressing in addition to barbell bench pressing for a while now. Dumbbells allow for a more free-range, natural movement, and will require your muscles to stabilize the weight as well as be able to target your chest more easily since your arm can move transversely, which is horizontally.

Wide grip barbell bench press is something I added specifically to hit my chest with light weight and high reps. The grip causes elbow flare, which leaves the shoulder more vulnerable to injury, but it's necessary to target the chest better than a more narrow grip. Both hit the chest. A narrow grip will hit the inner chest whereas a wide grip will hit the outer chest more. I don't bother locking out, and try to a keep a faster rhythm in the reps, staying in a shorter range of motion, and trying to feel the mass of that muscle, and spread out that contraction to it's extent, and dig the muscle (pull down) into the insertions.

I added Face Pulls to my routine, which are a rear delt exercise with a cable machine, and a rope attachment. You pull the rope with a wide grip towards your face - you can vary the heights of the pull. It's great for a scapula blood pump that lubricates the shoulders and is a nice warm down for any bench pressing, or other push moves as well as being good for shoulder health, and increasing the strength and power of the upper back. When I first started doing them, I did 100 reps on each bench press day, but since then have cut down to two sets of 12 with 30lb usually. You can go heavier if you want. I find that as you increase the weight, you have less control over the muscle and it becomes more of a movement rather than you guiding the muscles to contract freely and fully. It's good to switch between heavy, medium, and light on everything, and often I'll just climb the stack, doing every single stopgap often without rest between sets.

The last exercise I want to mention are Cable Cross Overs, but specifically with one-arm. Here's the reason: the way the chest (Pecs) contract is that the humerus (upper arm bone) must cross inward towards the mid-line of the body (e.g. clap hands). You can cross your arm further than the mid-line and keep going, but since you have two arms they're in each other's way of seeking the best contraction. It's also easier to contract only one side of your body rather than the entire body. I keep the arm not involved in the lift close to my chest and the mid-line of my body so that the pec that's not doing the main work is still activated for support as well as a hard lat and delt contraction.











No comments:

Post a Comment