Friday, November 1, 2013

Lat Control In Military Press and Incline Bench Press

I was doing the 5/3/1 routine, and I've been having trouble recovering fast enough, and have opted for only two workout days a week. Because the focus is on the Bench Press, the Squat, and the Deadlift, I've neglected my overhead press a bit. I stayed with Flat Barbell Bench Press for a long time (over a year), and have gotten to try many rep ranges, and have a good idea of where my strength is and the technique I have for it is quite nailed down. I wish I had a spotter, as I don't feel I can train as hard as I could. I'll have to try out the power rack one of these days.

I've decided to cut the flat barbell bench press and switch in Incline Barbell Bench Press and the Military Press. I also Front Squat on that day, and on the other day, I Squat and Deadlift.

My technique on the Military Press recently changed to having a much tighter back. After military pressing, I do Incline Barbell Bench Press, which is a very similar movement. It hits the shoulders well and hits the upper chest in a way that flat barbell bench press can not hit effectively. I also inlcude Lateral Raises and Rear Delt Rows. I think Front Squats work in well because they're not as taxing as Back Squats - one reason being the weight is lighter (half the amount). I also feel there's less back work in Front Squats, and less central nervous system overload like the big three.

This workout taxes my lats and shoulders heavily. The weather's changed recently, and I feel like my conditioning is a bit lacking. I can endure long workouts, but it feels a bit too tiring and draining at times. I Deadlifted 420lb for three singles this morning. I've switched from using straps to bare hands with mixed grip, and it feels really great on the body, and awful on the hands of course. I feel I can't lift for as many reps if I use just bare hands, but I think it may be just as beneficial. Having the grip to Deadlift 500lb for example would likely make every other lift that much easier because you've conditioned yourself to withstanding such weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment