Friday, November 1, 2013

300lb Squat

Squats didn't come easy to me. I had nowhere near the needed mobility and flexibility to hit the main key parts. I have long legs, and I think that makes for a slower and more awkward knee bend. I find my hamstrings are very strong, but my quads don't get worked as much. It's easier to load the hamstrings via the Deadlift than load the quads via the Squat.

I started with Low Bar Squats and switched to High Bar Squats about a year ago. I found them to target my quads much better than Low Bar Squats. I had to lower the weight though and learn a new technique. On a really crazy run, I hit 300lb in my squat, and hit 315lb the very next time, but haven't hit that since. Although I lift for strength, I also lift for building muscle mass, and I like to feel the weight a certain way before I increase it too much. I find that too heavy a weight, even if liftable, may not be as helpful as doing lighter weight with a better mind-muscle connection.

My last three squat days, I hit 300lb+, and the weight is very heavy, but it's a nice accomplishment. I think 315lb is a grab away, and thus a steal, so 405lb is the next goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment