Sunday, November 25, 2012

Trap-Bar Deadlifts

I managed to avoid this exercise for some time. I knew of it as an auxiliary exercise, and I figured my conventional Deadlift would cover the same benefits I'd receive from the Trap-Bar Deadlift. Now that I've tried the lift, I can say that it's a gem of an auxiliary exercise.

My Quads, which have been slow to develop, really felt this exercise. There is one immediate disadvantage, and that is since the bar is not in front of you, there's more mobility in the lower back, and you may have a tendency to sway where you didn't in the conventional Deadlift. Supposedly drilling this lift for a while will lessen that sway tendency.

The Trap-Bar Deadlift actually puts the bar in the center of your body. Conventional Deadlifts put the bar in front of your body, and Hack Squats put the bar behind the body. I have read that you can pull even heavier than conventional Deadlift. The other advantage is that it's less taxing on your lower back because the bar is closer to your hips.

My anterior leg routine is as follows:

Back Squats
Hack Squats
Trap-Bar Deadlifts
Calf Raises

posterior leg rouinte:

Back Squats
Sumo Deadlifts
Good Mornings
Leg Ball Curl (one-leg)

I have two upper body routines I switch through. One is for shoulders and the other is for lats. Both have Chest and Triceps.

No comments:

Post a Comment