Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bench Press

I can say that I total over 1000lb, combining my 1 rep maxes of Squat, Deadlift, and Bench Press, but I'm at a different level for each one as far as technique. The Deadlift is my strongest lift, and has came the most easily. I had a long struggle with Back Squats, and found the entire movement very unfamiliar. A novel thought that just came to me is that to make the movement appear natural in your mind, you can just envision trying to stand up while sitting on the ground with rollerblades on. You would naturally turn your toes outward, and try to catapult your ass upwards, which is basically a Squat. The Bench Press is the one lift I've done the longest (by 6 months), yet at this point and time, is my worst technically.

For Bench Press, I've been using poor technique, and it's luck of the draw that I'll lift heavy. My 1 rep max is 275lb, which I think is pretty high, but I've been failing 235lb for 5 reps, and it's tearing me up inside (mentally). I've done my research, as I have with every lift I perform, but for some reason things aren't working out. Leverage is always the answer.

I assumed that b/c of my success in push-ups that I would be great at the Bench Press, but as I've learned recently, my push-up form was far from my current technique. I've had trouble not tucking my elbows, and so I don't utilize my Triceps, and of all my muscles, Triceps and Pecs are the least developed. So the past week or so I've been hard on myself to tuck my elbows, but I read the Bench Press section of SS 3rd edition (for the dozenth time). I learned some new things I want to share.

Tucking your elbows until they are parallel with your torso hurts your leverage, and creates even more of a deviation from a vertical bar path. When you lay on the bench, your eyes should see just below the bar (towards feet), and after un-racking that you should find a place on the ceiling as a point of reference so that you know where the bar must go on each rep. Do not the look at the bar during the set, and stay on one breath if possible. It's crucial to be tight. Leg drive involves pushing your body horizontally towards your head. Grip with your palm before your fingers, and squeeze tight. Your wrists should be cocked back just slightly. Perpendicular forearms to the bar, and tuck your elbows, but not too much. Keep your chest as high as possible. When your lower the bar, keep your chest tight and squeeze it together to help aid raising the bar with the Triceps.


No comments:

Post a Comment