Thursday, December 26, 2013

Goblin Goo - New Beginner Routine

A very good friend came to me seeking the most efficient path to strength and general fitness. I poured over the most recommended and respected beginner routines, and I determined which two I liked the most, but decided my true preference would be of one that is not written, and thus I've made my own as I'm apt to do. First, I would like to point out this great picture which goes a handful of good beginner routine:


The two I liked most are Greyskull (Phrakture's variant):


And the other being Strong Lifts (which is similar to SS - Starting Strength):


So I like the frequency of squatting in starting strength. Squats are knee-dominant, but largely a hip exercise, and the hips are the most powerful part of a human. Deadlifting is great, but it takes longer to recover from Deadlifting than Squats, and Squats are known to carry over to Deadlifts more so than vice versa.

The difference between SL (Strong Lifts) and SS is 3 sets versus 5 and the swap of barbell rows for power cleans. I don't like power cleans for beginners as I find the form complicated, and I know barbell rows to be hard on the lower back. The reason I like 5 sets of 5 for beginners over 3 sets of 5 is that technique takes a long time to learn, and the more reps you perform, the practice you have in that technique. If you're squatting 25 reps instead of 15 reps in a workout, you'll have more information from the 25 reps that you can both mentally and physically reap. And if that's 30 reps versus 60 reps a week, you may progress twice as fast in technique. 5x5 eventually turns into 3x5. There's no reason to jump to the max as a beginner. Enjoy the grind.


I like the dips and pull-ups as exercises that force body control, I like the frequent Squats, I feel the dumbbell rows will aid in faster recovery. There's more Deadlift work than usual, but I think it's for the best as a single set is not enough reps to practice nor to really get in the groove of the exercise. Multiple sets are in most cases superior to single sets. I like the calf work to fill out the legs. I did not include curls, but they can be done as well as triceps work. Good Mornings are a godlike exercise that aren't ever done in casual gyms, but should be. They work the erector spinae, hamstrings to a great extent, abs, flexibility, and mobility.

I would do this routine for 3-6 months, or however long you're reaping gains and not plateauing. The way beginner programs change when transitioning to intermediate programs is less frequency/volume because as you go up in weights, you need more recovery, and your nervous system pool is drained more quickly as a result. The bit of squat work on workout C helps practice form and is a good warm-up before Deadlifts.

I don't believe in resting for a long duration between sets. The quicker it can be done, the stronger, more powerful you are and the more endurance you have. Attack the weight, execute reps, leave it all out there, and recover for next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment