Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yoga Refined and Advanced One-Leg Push-Ups

After two weeks of performing the 5 Tibetan Rites and the 27 yoga poses I adapted, I feel I have a solid base, and I'm not struggling to maintain any pose. I was originally going to switch over to the 5 Tibetan Rites and the 26 Bikram poses, but I found myself wanting to drop certain poses, and I found myself attached to some of prior poses I learned. The end result of my conceptualizing is The 5 Tibetan Rites and 37 poses, taken from the yoga mat and Bikram. Over time, I plan to incorporate new poses.

I wonder about the spirituality aspect of yoga. I try to give it my respect, but I'm not convinced either a soul or chi exists. I'm still researching those fields.

I'm having difficulty using the same technique for one-arm push-ups for each arm. I tend to use more shoulder on my left arm, and on the right arm, my abs twists in a painful manner. I'm continuing them as I find the one-arm push-up an incredible feat, and it appears to be a useful exercise. I like that I can only perform a few, and that I'm able to output my strength so quickly. It's efficient and saves time. I'll update with my progress on it. I'm currently doing 2 sets of 3 reps per arm. I know I can do more, but they're very taxing, and they would affect other exercises I perform.

Yesterday, I tried a new style of push-ups. I have been doing one-leg push-ups for the last 5-6 months. They're not very difficult. People can typically do them on their first try. I like them though because you're making the push-up even more of a compound exercise by having your lower half carry your weight on one leg. Though, I've heard you shouldn't put weight on your feet with push-ups so that your upper body is more taxed. Clearly, there are options.

The new method is a one-leg push-up with the hovering leg higher in the air, as straight and as high as you can manage. This technique works the lower half of your body extraordinarily more than regular one-leg push-ups. I could feel my glutes, quads, and hamstrings being worked. In fact, prior to even attempting these, I performed about 3 one-leg squats aka pistols on each leg as my body sort of foreshadowed the strength and the tension necessary for the advanced one-leg push-ups. I held on to a railing minimally as I did them as I haven't trained them yet. The inspiration for this style of push-up came from performing the locust position in yoga.

Though I admit I've seen one-leg push-ups done this style with the leg raised, it's usually not raised that high. The style I like is with the hovering leg as high as you can lift it. One thing I immediately noticed is that my push-up went from a horizontal position to more of a vertical position. I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. The more vertical you perform a push-up, the more triceps and shoulders you work, and the less you use your pecs. I tend to favor pecs over shoulders, but as of today I'm resuming the bench press. I started benching in the middle of November till the start of January, starting at 155lb max and ending at 215lb max. I know I have nothing but room to grow in benching technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment