Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One-Leg Hammy Leg Ball Curls and Straight-Leg Deadlifts

Yesterday, I discovered a new hamstring/glutes exercise. It's a variation of the hamstring ball curl. Only use one leg on the ball, and keep the other straight up. I'm not sure why it took me so long to see it. The initial problem I had with the hamstring ball curl, and others I showed the exercise to, was that you're not able to efficiently add weight. I always performed it with a 45 plate on my lower stomach, but that wasn't nearly enough resistance. Stacking a second 45 plate made the exercise too unwieldy, like doing push-ups with plates on your back. The second plate would slide around and there was an added danger that it might slide into your jaw or facial area.

Performing the one-leg hammy leg ball curl is actually more dangerous than the standard version. All of your weight is held by only one limb. It puts so much pressure on that limb that it's easy to hurt yourself. You could pull a muscle if you're not paying attention and not tensing your body in preparation for it. I only did 13 reps with each leg, using the 45 plate, and it felt great, whereas using two legs, I was doing 145 reps.I've noticed that when switching to one-leg or one-arm exercises, the pressure is greatly amplified for the limb on the ground. It's an important factor to acknowledge. For example, if you attempt to do a 2-finger push-up, you could sprain a finger.

The other exercise I've started performing recently is the straight-leg deadlift aka stiff-leg deadlift. This variation of the deadlift prioritizes the hamstring and glutes. I've read that going heavy on the straight-leg deadlift activates the glutes more. I certainly feel the stretch in my hamstrings when performing them, but my glutes seem to overtake the majority of the work. I've only performed them with dumbbells as I've found the hamstring stretch to be better when reaching lower to the ground to pick the weight up versus a barbell that would stand much higher off the ground. I initially wanted to start incorporating Good Mornings, and I might in the future, but I dislike how rounded the back stays in good mornings, and that you don't straighten your back. I prefer flexing my lower back and standing upright after each rep. It enforces my posture and keeps my lower back stiff and strong feeling almost like a corset or tightly strapped belt. I'll try a one-leg straight-leg deadlift. It sounds like a very efficient way to utilize lighter weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment