Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Juggernaut Method

For the past six months I've been on 5/3/1, the last two of those with the incorporation of 8/6/3 on some lifts. I saw about 10-30lb increase in PRs over that time on all of my main lifts. The program was still working, but I could tell some lifts were about to plateau like Military Press, and both Squats and Deadlifts were becoming more taxing. I just came off a deload week, so I'm fresh, and decided I'd go a new route since now is a perfect time for that - it being right after a deload and the end of a month.

I like this program for its reps disparity, utilizing higher bodybuilder type numbers. There are chances to do as many reps you can with a weight, which is found in 5/3/1 too, but from the layout of Juggernaut, it looks like it sets you up more for getting a ton of reps, whereas with 5/3/1 I could get 1 or 2 extra reps if I wanted, but often opted out. I feel Juggernaut depends on those do as many as you can reps versus 5/3/1 having a structure despite it. Because depending on how many reps you achieve, the program will become more difficult to allow you to progress faster.

The only thing I'm weary of is doing high volume on shoulder work, and I may scale it back. The program runs for 4 months as one cycle, which is a long time, but also includes a deload for each month, which I plan on using.

I've struggled in the past to adhere to deloads. I've often found myself with the willpower to keep going week after week, but eventually your body gives up. The key is to know just when your body will give up, so you can stop beforehand without cutting yourself too short, which would stop gains. I've always felt best when listening to my body and not pushing it too hard, and the deloads allow for the recovery necessary to have the proper intensity throughout periodization schedules.

The program, The Juggernaut Method, looks both challenging and hypertrophy inducing (muscle building). I'll update how the program works out for me. The creator of the program is Chad Wesley Smith. I might try the Cube Method after these 4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment