Sunday, February 3, 2013

Highliting Recovery

After having a few months of 5-6 day workouts in a week, I'm experiencing the flip side - more rest days than training days. I had flu-like symptoms nine days ago, which kept me out of the gym, but gave me time to realize something which is that after any workout, your muscles are sore and take time to recover. You can workout before they fully recover, and even if you have lower back stiffness, you can find a way to still work it as well as having inflamed joints. But if you do take that time off, you can experience the body awareness of the recovery, and you'll know when the strength is back and the muscles are truly ready to be hit again. I think high frequency is great for hammering skill technique, elevating your strength, and using lots of time under tension, but I think low frequency also has its merits. I feel it's easy to become less active, less flexible, and less driven on a low frequency workout. The trade though is full recovery, body awareness, high intensity, and lots of free time. For my next workout, I plan to hammer chin-ups, bench press, military press, and dips. I've had a strange experience with Barbell Rows lately. They've been taking out my lower back, regardless of even pulling off the safeties. I want to try wearing a belt for them, but don't have one yet, so I'm switching to Kroc Rows, and will be adding Barbell Curls. I switch between two workouts: one with Squats, Deadlifts, and DB Bench Press, the other with Barbell Bench Press, Military Press, Shrugs, Kroc Rows, Chin-Ups, Dips, and Curls. I'll also sprinkle in Calf Raises, Rear Delt Rows, Lateral Raises, 1-Leg Leg Ball Curls, Bent Press, and Muscle-Ups.

No comments:

Post a Comment