Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Building Muscle With High Volume and Low Weight

I have been absent from writing due to being injured for seven months. It sure is a long time. And I've learned a great deal since then, and would like to share that knowledge.


I'm going to introduce a lifting routine, or more specifically a way to calculate and refine this workout for yourself. There is a set number of reps and set, and the targeted weight is programmed via 1 rep max.

I've experienced increaed triceps mass from this workout, abs have came in nicely, and core is very strong, shoulders are popping, pecs are full, upper forearms swole, and quads are bigger than ever.

I've written a lot of workout routines, and the reason I came up with this routine is that I was experiencing injuries, and of course wanted to continue lifting, and to push the boundary of training in a safer fashion by raising volume, increasing frequency, and decreasing intensity (amount of weight). The results are good hypertrophy (muscle building), fast metabolism, core strength, and mobility.

I've been lifting for just shy of 7 years, and the deeper you go, the more complex the workout routine must be to see results. For example a beginner can just build a routine based of linear progression of adding 5/10lb indefinitely until failure (charted out for 1-3 months).

There are not many lifts in this routine, as I prefer barbell powerlifting. It is based around the three main lifts: bench press, squat, and deadlift.

There are two or three workouts per week with a day of rest between days.

Squat: 4 sets of 15 reps at 15%, 25%, 30%, 35% of 1 rep max.
Bench Press: 4 sets of 15 reps at 15%, 25%, 30%, 35% of 1 rep max.
Deadlift: 16 sets of 1 rep at 15%, 25%, 30%, 35% of 1 rep max. (switch between traditional/sumo every 2 sets).

That's pretty much it. The following days of that workout, just raise the percentages by 5%, and on the 3rd workout raise it an additional 5%. You can play with percentage numbers - for example 17.5%, 27.5%, 32.5%, 37.5%. Or add a fifth set if you try the workout, and feel like more volume is possible without fatigue.

It's very effective to lift lower weights for high volume. If you are doing 60-75 reps of bench press three times a week. That's 180-225 reps a week. It will build muscle guaranteed despite the weight seeming very low. The numbers I used for my 1 rep max are 300 for squat, 225 for bench press, 465 for deadlift. None of these are my absolute highest 1 rep max, but I believe in having a 1 rep max that you use for calculating a routine (sometimes referred to as a training 1 rep max) to be a weight I feel I can hit on any given day, and does require special periodization (weeks ramping up the weight in a special pattern to peak at a certain time a month later) to achieve, where I may miss the weight, and it requires great mental focus - that to me is beyond a 1 rep max.

If you find the 4 sets of 15 reps to be difficult cardio-wise, you may need to speed up your reps, or cut the range of motion slightly. It may seem like cheating, but getting solid work in is more important than perfect form and full range of motion. In order to have energy and strength for high volume, I do think near perfect form is required to stay fresh.

I also throw in calf raises, rear delt rows, good mornings, and I plan on adding some shrugs since the deadlift weight is low.

Nutrition advice I'd like to give is to only eat carbs/breads in high fiber and high protein, and to establish consistency with your Monday through Friday lunch habits to be clean and light. I recommend a salad with protein, and one extra piece of protein (grilled/fried chicken good choice).

I highly recommend supplementing probiotics daily (multiple kinds and a high amount). I find aiding digestion is essential for health. I also recommend consuming raw shelled hemp seeds every day. I have yet to find a food with a fuller spectrum of proteins and fats, which satiate the body more than other foods, and can be added to anything because they are extremely small, and only have a subtle nutty taste. They work well with yogurt, salad, and peanut butter.

Cheers.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment