Monday, July 21, 2014

Bench Press Technique

I've been having a lot of success in Bench Press the past few months, and want to share the technique I've been using. The first thing I realize when I lay down for a Bench Press is that my lower back isn't warmed up enough to execute a good back arch. Leg drive is done by pushing with your feet. I like to use a close grip, which is still at least 12 inches apart. Before beginning to press the bar, or unrack it, I will grab the bar and drag my body underneath it and pin my back with my scapulas as close together as possible. The two positions that make up the Bench Press are the tucked position with the barbell at your chest and the extended position where the barbell is pressed outwardly. More simply they are the up position and the down position.

What I have found recently to work efficiently is to exaggerate the difference between the up and down positions with two horizontal points. When you tuck your arms and bring the barbell to your chest, lower the bar down your body towards your navel, and press the bar, moving it horizontally upwards over your body closer to your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment