Saturday, March 30, 2013

New Bodybuilding Split

I've cycled a bastardized version of Arnold's Beginner Routine, which is 6 days a week, a few times now, and I've had good results, but I burn out after a month of it. The past two months I had switched to more of a powerlifter routine that consisted of 2 workout days a week. I've been making good strength gains, but my bodyfat has gone up a little. Instead of running a 6 day routine, I've devised a new routine  that I feel I'll be able to sustain longer than a month, will have me bodybuilding as a priority, and will have my bodyfat drop quickly.

I realized especially from the last two months, that you can do an exercise only once a week, and make gains. That said, performing an exercise three times a week is a waste of energy and there won't be progression, and if there is it will be short-lived. Two times a week is a fine number. I've also decided to progress the weight weekly opposed to by session. This is common in intermediate routines as progression slows down. It'll allow me to stay in the groove of my weight scheme longer.

I've replaced the traditional Deadlift with the trap-bar Deadlift. I've added back in Hack Squats. I added DB Curls and Cable Pushdowns.

My focus in workouts has largely been to progress in weight and have clean form. My new direction will be that of working the muscle. So every time I go to the gym, I get a pump in the planned exercises and leave afterwards. I'm not going to work past a fatigued muscle, I'm not going to have long workouts, and I won't need much rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment