Monday, October 22, 2012

Strength Training With Full Recovery

When I've approached my workout in the recent past, I was drained from the high volume and 6 day training week. I was not lifting my heaviest weights, and I had to struggle very hard to even lift as heavy as I did. Since then, I've settle down into strength training with only 2 days on a week back to back - lower body and upper body. I do about 3-10 sets of 5 per exercise, utilizing heavy weights.

I noticed immediately when I switched over to heavier weight that my body was taking a different type of damage and re-strengthening. I have been using body awareness as well recently. My training had tapered off, intentionally, more and more until where it now. I was surprised that while training 6 days a week, I could Deadlift on 4 of those days, and still be able to workout without much soreness. I was not lifting very heavy weight for myself though. Everything was approximately 50% my max (which is still 200lb in many cases).

When you attempt your routine without full recovery, you dig deep, and pour your heart into the lift. The weight moves, but a lot of the times it doesn't move. It's a horrible feeling to fail a lift. It can cause depression. It can cripple confidence. It can ruin many great things despite other accomplishments. Failing too often is fatal.

With full recovery, and having several days to recover gives the body a fair shot on your training day. That said, the first training day gets the most effort. My current routine has 1 upper body and 1 lower body training day a week. There are alternate workouts for both upper and lower body. I have an upper body for shoulders and arms,  and a day for lats. Both days hit chest and abs. For lower body I have a day for hamstrings and lower back, and another day for quads and calves.

My Squats are climbing steadily, breaking PRs as is my Bench Press and Military Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment